I stumbled onto the funniest article in the Kenya Standard online this week. It was entitled ‘9 duties you must never delegate to your house help‘
It’s full of really pertinent advice, delivered without frills, by and to Kenyans, giving a cheeky wink at middle class life in Kenya today. Help at home is a strongly cultural tradition in Kenya, perhaps stemming from rural roots, when young girls in the village were asked to care for babies while mums worked out in the field.
The full article gives more detail (see link above and left), – but for now, here are some of the 9:
- Don’t expect your house help to wash your underwear – some things should be kept private
- Don’t delegate the operating of household machinery to your house help
- Make your bedroom a sanctuary or house help-free zone
- Don’t allow your house help to serve food to your husband (though she can cook it) or draw a bath for your husband…least they are tempted into a relationship – the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach and all that (read the comments after the Standard article here – this point is expanded more fully!)
- Don’t expect your house help to take your baby to clinical appointments, or to sleep with your baby thus giving your rest.
And also making me laugh out loud this week is undoubtedly: ‘Barbie Saviour’….
Something else that made me smile this week is the wickedly brilliant ‘Barbie Savior’ Instagram account that an old friend sent me the link to. The account is a parody of selfies frequently taken by young, Western volunteers in Africa who want to ‘save’ the continent and there’s a fairly hefty slant on missionaries.
This is one of my absolute faves:
- barbiesaviorWe are SO thankful for our recent $100,000 donation! We thought it most prudent to spent 60% of it on this baby! I truly believe the designer pink will propel our ministry forward in a way a typical drab color could not. SO blessed!!!! Now we can collect those tears faster then ever! Or was it teach? Or give out shoes? Whatevs. We can do what we feel is necessary faster than ever!!!#4wheelfashion #cruzinforabruisin#zoomaluyah #driven4him#fourwheeldrivesavior #cruisincrusader#wheelinanddealin #dealinlovethatis#allidoiswinwinwin #iwouldwalk500miles#butletsberealidratherdrive #blessed#lowridinsavin #givemethattoottoot#givemethatbeepbeep#myremixtoignition#hotNfreshonmymission#itsthefreakinweekendbabyimabouttosavemesomechildren#bouncebouncebounce
Apparently the creators of this account were volunteers themselves in East Africa some years ago. In the hilarious pictures – Barbie has been photoshopped into East African scenes (slums, villages, on the back of a boda-boda motorbike etc). She then captions the picture and places some fantastic hashtags
*Featured image credit: www.nation.co.ke